Friday, April 24, 2009

THE Chicken Soup

This recipe has been a hit with almost everyone we share it with. In fact, the Pieracini's make it in Ohio all the time now. It's a great idea to bring this to a neighbor or a friend in need of a warm, comforting meal. Thanks Mom for sharing this with us...YUMMY!

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 cups half & half
3 chicken breasts
5 cans chicken broth
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup french style green beans
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp onion salt

Boil chicken for 20 minutes in chicken broth. Remove, cool and shred...reserve broth. Add to broth carrots, green beans and white pepper. In separate pan, melt butter and whisk in flour. (do not brown) Add broth, milk, half & half to butter mixture. Add chicken and season to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I've been making this for 15 years now, after it was brought to me after I had some surgery, and I don't know how many times I've given the recipe out. It's so good. I remember we called it Jessie's catnip, because if there were leftovers, it's all Jessie would eat...breakfast, lunch or dinner, until it was gone.
    Note:
    I like to cook the flour and butter for awhile....until it doesn't "smell" like flour anymore and it is nice and creamy. I know you do too, Michelle, just thought I'd clarify for others that you DO have to cook the butter and flour for a little while for the best results.
    Thanks for posting, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete